Canterbury Business College

Useful Information

General information that you should like to know.

Living in NSW Australia

Living in Sydney

Sydney is the largest and oldest city in Australia. Founded in 1788 when the first European settlers arrived here, it has since grown to become a modern and cosmopolitan city with a population of 4.5 million people. Over one fifth of Australia’s total population lives in Sydney.

The city is built along the beautiful Sydney Harbour, which now boasts the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. To the east is the Pacific Ocean and its many popular surf beaches including Bondi, Coogee, and Manly.

Sydney is spread over a wide area reaching to the Blue Mountains in the west.

Australia is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world with migrants from more than 170 countries. Over 31.7% of the population is either born overseas or at least one of their parents are. Over 1 million Australians are Asian born. However, only two percent of Australia’s population is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander decent.

Sydney is a comparatively safe and clean city to live in. It offers a high standard of living, excellent health and educational facilities, cosmopolitan shopping centres, and an extensive public transport system, including trains, buses and ferries. Our telecommunications network is efficient and the internet now allows you to easily keep in touch with loved ones back home. Australia is politically and economically a stable country.

Transport System

International students do not get travel concessions on public transport in New South Wales. Trains, Buses and Ferries are the commonly used modes of public transport depending upon the area you travel to and from. Mytrain zone tickets or passes can be purchased and are valid for travel on bus, train and ferries.

For public transport information please visit:

Living Expenses


If student requires the College to arrange Homestay or other types of accommodation the Student Services staff can be contacted for assistance.

In Sydney, most students stay in following three types of accommodation:

  • Hostel – Approximately AUD$200-250 Per Week
  • Homestay – Approximately AUD$250-280 Per Week
  • Shared Unit Rent – Approximately AUD$150-200 Per Week
  • The College can arrange accommodation for students if they advise and pay to the college two weeks rent in advance. Accommodation placement fee is AUD$110.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for a tourist/visitor visa over the Internet?

Depending on the passport that you hold, you may be eligible to apply for a tourist/visitor visa online (ETA – Electronic Travel Authority). Applications for ETAs can also be submitted through travel agents or airlines. An ETA will let you spend up to 3 months in Australia. See the ETA site for more information about the types of ETA, eligibility, fees, conditions, etc.

Can I apply for a student visa online?

You may be eligible to apply for your student visa online. Visit the DIBP website –

How long can I study on a student visa?

The length of visa will be dependent on the total length of the course.

What is working holiday visa?

The Working Holiday visa may be granted for people between 18 and 30 from some countries listed below to holiday in Australia and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

The countries are : The United Kingdom, Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, the Republic of Ireland, the Republic of Korea, Malta, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, Finland, the Republic of Cyprus, Italy and France.

The visa allows a stay of up to 12 months from the date of first entry to Australia, regardless of whether or not you spend the whole time in Australia.

You are allowed to do any kind of work of a temporary or casual nature, but work for more than three months with any one employer is not permitted.

Can I work in Australia?

Student visa allows you to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during school time and unlimited during holiday. Working holiday visa holder can work for one employer up to 3 months. Tourist visa does not allow visitors to work in Australia.

Can I extend my stay in Australia? If so, how?

f you have a ‘Further Stay Restricted’ condition on your visa, you generally are not able to apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends.

If your visa has ended, you need to contact us immediately. You might be barred from returning to Australia for three years if you do not tell us within 28 days of your visa ending.

You might be able to extend your stay in Australia for further study, work, your graduation or a holiday.

For further information please visit -